Friday, June 21, 2013

Goat's Milk Clam Chowder-- summer or winter treat

As I meandered down the crowded aisles of the grocery store yesterday evening, gathering supplies for the meals for the rest of the week, I found myself forced to go down one aisle that I always dread--the soup aisle. Why? I, like many people, have a horrible allergy to anything with MSG, yeast extract, hydrolyzed soy or animal proteins, and many of the hazardous 'spices' and 'spice extracts' now found in so many of the soups and pre-packaged soup starters. I have to avoid most of the broths available, either making my own from scratch or paying more for one that is organic and 'extract free.' So, as I walked down the soup aisle, remembering the taste of many of the soups I enjoyed in my childhood that I can no longer have, my eyes settled on a can of New England Clam Chowder. My mouth watered, and I could almost taste cream and potatoes. My son noticed my frown, and asked, "Mom, what's wrong?"

There was nothing else I could do at this point beyond saying, "Mom is going to have to be creative and see if she can create her own version of clam chowder." 

"What's that?"

"You'll see."

Of course, with so much goat's milk sitting in the fridge, it was the perfect opportunity to use some of it! My walk down the soup aisle turned into a good thing after all.

Goat's Milk Clam Chowder

You will need:

2 tsp fresh goat's butter
1-2 tsp additional butter (to taste)
3 green onions, chop, or 1 small onion, chop
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1 celery stick, diced
5-6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 8oz bottle All Natural clam juice
1 can (6.5 oz) clams (BumbleBee is what I used)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp fresh, chopped parsley (or dry flakes)
1 tbsp corn starch
6 cups fresh whole goat's milk


In a heavy pot, add 2 tsp fresh goat's butter. Heat over medium heat until melted and bubbling. Next, Add the green onions or onion. Cook 1 minute, and then add celery and garlic. Stir fry until onions are translucent. Don't burn the garlic! 

Next, add chicken broth and clam juice to pot, in addition to the potatoes, pepper, and parsley. Cook until potatoes and celery are soft and tender--about 10-15 minutes over medium heat. 

After potatoes are soft, add the corn starch and bring to a boil. Boil for two minutes. 

When two minutes have passed, add the clams and slowly stir in your goat's milk.  

Cook an additional 25-30 minutes over low heat, being careful not to boil and curdle the milk.
You only want it to reduce and thicken, not boil. Have a taste and add butter and salt (if necessary) to your own taste. 

Garnish with parsley, fresh if you have it, and serve!


The end result is delicious creaminess with lots of potatoes and chunky clams! And no MSG!

I intend to freeze some for later. It should freeze well.

No comments:

Post a Comment